Unveil ancient vineyards in Venice
off the beaten track
Venice – Veneto
Where it takes place
San Silvestro church
from 2 to 6 hours
History of an unconventional Venice, history of wine and Venetian merchant routes, wineries and exclusive vineyards
According to the needs of cost and duration for adults, individuals and groups up to 14 people. Suitable for larger groups
The Story to live together
Giuseppina is a historian and researcher from Venice and she has recently discovered that many streets take their name from the wine trade as Venice, from 1300 to 1700, was the largest disposal station of wine in Europe, partly produced inside the city. The news is shocking and to arrive at a detailed discovery, Giuseppina summons historian colleagues from all over the world to help her map the history and traditions of this unexpected revelation
Your knowledge of the history of wine and the wine trade in Europe will be very useful. Meanwhile Giuseppina is waiting for you at the Church of San Silvestro near Rialto with a map showing the reliefs of all the streets.
Giuseppina, Experiential Tourism Operator
Hi, I’m Giuseppina, licensed guide and historian researcher from Venice. I am known for being particularly expert in the history of wine in Venice from the Middle Ages to nowadays. I know the ancient and hidden Venetian vineyards where I will take you to discover how, even today, a particular quality wine is prepared. You will live a memorable experience and certainly outside of conventional canons
What we can do together
- Meeting with Giuseppina, delivery of the map and development of the research plan, toponymy of the ancient area of the wine trade in Venice
- Interviews with the friars of San Francesco in Vigna, examination of the ancient vineyard in the heart of today’s Venice, access to the ancient library of the Franciscan order
- Surprise route through the venues of the Venetian vineyards, passage for a modern Malvasia
- Tasting and storytelling in a wine shop of a fine wine produced in Venice by a sommelier
- Review of the material collected and social media publishing to spread the great discovery
- Toast and celebrations with lunch or aperitif based on typical local products in a typical Venetian diner
Watch the video
Minors must be accompanied by an adult.
Please inform us of any food intolerance or allergy in advance.