The exam for the Vogalonga
Venice – Veneto
Where it takes place
At the benches of the newsstand
of Piazza Santi Apostoli
from 2 to 4 hours
Venice and its traditions, craftsmanship, Venetian enogastronomy, culture
According to the needs of cost and duration for families, individuals and groups up to 20 people
The Story to live together
The rowers of the International Boat Rowing Association decided to take part in this year’s edition of Vogalonga using a typical Venetian boat and the ancient Venetian rowing technique. To enroll in the Vogalonga, however, it is necessary to have passed the admission exam on the Venetian rowers’ register, which includes a theoretical part of general culture, in particular on the world of boats, and a practical part where it is necessary to demonstrate a real skill in the traditional rowing technique.
How can you get ready for the exam? No problem! Monica is ready to start the lesson!
Monica, Experiential Tourism Operator
Hi, I’m Monica, tour guide of Venice and passionate about traditions of my city. With me you will be able to experience the thrill of becoming a true Venetian rower, by seeing at firsthand, the rowing techniques and the tools used to build boats. And remember, a real rower must also know how to sing!
What we can do together
- Meeting with Monica, director of the rowing school, and deepening of the program and evaluation method
- With a craftsman, we will understand the construction methods fork and rows and the usage of these ancient rowing tools
- In the most ancient Venetian foundry we will learn how metal parts of Venetian boats are made, with secular molds handed down from generation to generation
- Singing lesson, in gondola you must know the “barcarole”
- Inside a “squero” (boatyard) we will learn how to build and maintain a traditional Venetian boat
- From theory to practice: Venetian rowing lesson
- Final meeting at a Venetian “bacaro”. Those who pass the exam will receive the Venetian Rower certificate. Toast and tasting of “cicchetti” (venetian finger food)
Watch the video
Minors must be accompanied by an adult.
Please inform us of any food intolerance or allergy in advance.
The activity does not take place in case of bad weather.