The Carnival of Sauris
Udine – Friuli Venezia Giulia
Where it takes place
Sauris di Sopra/Plotzn, 3/A
from 2,5 to 8 hours
Legends, traditions, local folklore, typical food and wine, meeting with locals
According to the needs of cost and duration for families, individuals, and groups up to 16 people
The Story to live together
The Saurian carnival is one of the most ancient and characteristic events of the village of Sauris and is open to all those who share its values. To participate in the next edition you can apply throughout the year but you have to know that you must pass a theoretical and practical examination in front of the appropriate commission of the cultural circle.
Do you want to get the approval of the cultural club to participate in the next carnival?
Submit your application in time and Lucia will assist you to help you play the role of an original saurian mask!
Lucia, Experiential Travel Operator
Hi, I’m Lucia, I live in Sauris and I’m in charge of her small ethnographic museum. I am very attached to my community and I like to tell its origins, history, legends, and traditions. In this story, my task is to prepare you to pass the entrance exam to the next edition of the Carnival of Sauris. I’ll be waiting for you!
What we can do together
- Lucia welcomes the group and explains the program that includes a theoretical-practical test
- Meeting with some locals to deepen the historical and folkloristic bases of the Carnival saurano also making use of the rich layout already present at the Ethnographic Museum
- At a local carver the group includes the mask processing methodology. Possibility of demonstration of carving of a mask
- Making of the characteristic “cappellina” of the Carnival saurano
- Chef Claudio performs in a show cooking of the typical saurane pancakes in his kitchen, in a typical sauranian house
- In the hall of the ethnographic center rehearsing costumes and dances for the masked group
- Exhibition of the masked group along the streets of the village concluding with the theoretical practical examination by the Cultural Circle commission, to obtain the certificate of admission to the next Carnival of Sauris
- Toast and celebrations with Chef Claudio’s pancakes
Watch the video!
Minors must be accompanied by an adult.
Please inform us in advance of any food intolerance or allergy.