Marco Polo and the merchants of Venice
Venice – Veneto
Where it takes place
Naval Museum lobby
Riva S. Biasio 2148
from 2 to 6 hours
Venice, story of Marco Polo and merchants, culture of merchant trip, boats, history, handicraft
According to the needs of cost and duration for adults, families, individuals and groups up to 20 people
The Story to live together
National Geographic Europe has commissioned Dr. Minù Minelli, one of the leading Venetian experts on Marco Polo, to put together a team of specialists to get a scoop about the organization of a commercial trip by sea using the ancient boats in use at the Republic of Venice. For the selection of the team of experts, preference shall be given to people who will stand out in their curiosity and interest in exploring the Venetian entrepreneurial genius developed over the centuries thanks to merchant trade.
Join the team too! Minù is waiting for you with the map to find out how Venetian merchants built their boats and prepared themselves for expeditions along the Mediterranean routes.
Minù, Experiential Tourism Operator
Hi, I’m Minù, Venetian tour guide, passionate about Marco Polo and researcher of the history of merchant Venice. I will help you enter the minds of Venetian merchants to understand how they organized their trades, how they built ships, how they read the ancient maps and what was the economic importance of the spices for the Serenissima. A round trip to China will have no more secrets for you!
What we can do together
- Meeting with Minù and delivery of passes to move freely
- Examining the different boats at the Navy Museum, a “marangone” (boat manufacturer) will make us understand the characteristics of some woods, the costs of processing and the implications for the organization of Venetian merchant trips
- Crossing suggestive places in Venice, we will learn how the urban structure of the city reflects an organization based on the management of goods and merchant trip
- In the Querini Library, with the help of a cartographer, we will examine the ancient maps to set out our trip and to finalize the merchant plan
- The material produced will be published on social media and evaluated in real time by the editor-in-chief of National Geographic Europe
- Thanks certificate for the work done, toasts, ‘cicchetti’ and celebrations at a typical Venetian bacaro
Watch the video
Minors must be accompanied by an adult.
Please inform us of any food intolerance or allergy in advance.