Citizens of the island of Sant’Erasmo
the veggie garden of Venice
Venice – Veneto
Where it takes place
Punta Vela Sant’Erasmo
public waterbus landing
on foot and by bicycle
from 2 to 6 hours
Peasant life, uncontaminated nature, agriculture, Venetian islands, enogastronomy of the lagoon
According to the needs of cost and duration for adults, families, individuals and groups up to 15 people. Suitable for school tourism
The Story to live together
The island of Sant’Erasmo has for centuries been called “the veggie garden of Venice”. Here the Venetians have always experienced the silence, the slow rhythm of nature and the life of the fields in the most famous lagoon in the world. The citizens of the island want to keep this climate for which they are open to new residents but only as long as they are respectful of this lifestyle.
If you want to become an honorary citizen of Sant’Erasmo you must prove to the commission of the village that you have the right stuff, Giovanna is waiting for you at Punta Vela to start your initiation into the new life of Sant’Erasmo.
Giovanna, Experiential Tourism Operator
Hi, I’m Giovanna, I’m a vegetarian and I’ve been practicing Universal Meditation for many years. I am a daughter of farmers and when I was a girl I helped my parents to cultivate veggie garden and fields, living in close relationship with land and animals, a strong and true link that you will have the opportunity to rediscover with me on the island of Sant’Erasmo called the ‘”Vegetable Garden of Venice”
What we can do together
- Meeting with Giovanna, delivery of work tools and organization of tests to become “honorary citizens”
- Meeting with Giorgia and Michele on their historical farm “Da Gino e Inda” and beginning of the day of rural life
- Led by real expert farmers, we will learn the processing techniques of the vegetable garden and orchard and we will know the typical and peculiar products of Sant’Erasmo (according to the seasonality)
- A person in charge of the City Commission evaluates the “peasant vocation”
- Appointment to “Citizens of Sant’Erasmo” for those who have passed the selection
- Toast and celebrations based on typical local products
Watch the video
Minors must be accompanied by an adult.
Please inform us of any food intolerance or allergy in advance.